I love Thanksgiving. I love all holidays really. For me they are full of family and fun and good warm memories. Today was no different, and on my long drive home I thought of all the things I am thankful for this year. I figure here is as good a place as any to share 🙂
1. My Freedom. My freedom as an American, my freedom to wake up in the morning and choose what to do with my life, my freedom to go anywhere and do anything. I can walk outside without being fearful of any imminent threat, or go to the grocery store and know that I can buy as much food as I’d like without it being rationed. Freedom is one of the most valuable things I can think of.
2. The unconditional love and unending support of my family. Especially my mom and grandmother. They have always been there for me, and I know no matter where life takes me, they will continue to help and support me in my endeavors.
3. The companionship of my dog, Lola. Like my family, she is always there to cheer me up. She’s a great listener and hugger. She provides warmth and smiles and keeps loneliness at bay. I don’t know what I’d do without her.
4. Being home. Although this may be temporary if my business doesn’t pick up and I have to go back to work, I am thankful for every day I can be home. I see my wonderful boyfriend and Lola, I spend the day knitting and running my little business, and I can go outside and enjoy the fresh air whenever I want. That’s something I really missed when I was in an office all day.
5. My little apartment. It may be a bit crowded, but it’s a roof over my head and a warm bed at night. It’s a place to call home, where I find comfort and relaxation. After long days like today, it’s a place I love to be.
6. Books. They take me places I can only dream of. An escape from the everyday, I can travel the world and the stars without every leaving home.
7. My health. I can hear and see the great big world around us, I can taste foods inspired by cultures around the globe, and I can go for long walks to clear the mind and refresh the soul. I know I could do better (who couldn’t eat a little healthier or exercise a little more), but I am truly grateful for the health I have. Not everyone is as lucky.
8. The internet. It has connected me to great people, like my readers (thank you! I never thought anyone would want to read my blog, really), and customers, and friends. The internet has connected me to the world and opened up amazing possibilities. I can find a wealth of information and new skills all with the click of a button. It’s amazing!
9. Choices. This goes along with freedom I suppose, but I am grateful for all the choices I have. I can choose any food I want to eat, even if its out of season. Or I can choose to eat in season only. I can choose where to live, what kind of business to run, or what kind of dog to own. If I want only eco-friendly products, I have choices. There are endless choices of new clothing fashions, or I can choose to wear what I have till it falls apart. I can choose to walk, or bike, or drive, or take a bus to wherever I want to go. I can choose to have a doughnut for dinner or leftover pizza for breakfast. Sometimes I’m still shocked at how many choices we face in a day, and the control we have over our lives and our future.
So what are you thankful for today?