Time for dessert! Blueberry season may be over, but with delicious blueberry jam you can have these tasty treats all winter long. They may not be a traditional holiday dessert, but if you’re looking to make something other than piles and piles of cookies this year, give these a try!
Blueberry Almond Bars
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 12oz pkg (2 cups) white baking pieces
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 to 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup blueberry jam
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 325F. In a small saucepan melt butter over low heat. Remove from heat. Add 1 cup of the baking pieces (do not stir); set aside. Grease a 9x9x2-inch baking pan. Set aside.
2. In a medium bowl combine eggs and sugar. Add butter mixture to egg mixture; stir until just combined. Stir in almond extract.
3. Stir together flour and salt. Add to egg mixture; stir until just combined. Spread half the batter in prepared pan. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove from oven.
4. Meanwhile, melt jam over low heat. Spread jam evenly over warm crust. Stir remaining 1 cup baking pieces into remaining batter. Drop batter in small mounds onto filling. Sprinkle with almonds.
5. Bake about 35 minutes more or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Makes about 16 bars.